MONIN 2020 FLAVOR TRENDS
Thursday, December 19th, 2019
Monin Gourmet Flavorings has identified five emerging trends which they predict will influence food and beverage menus this year and beyond:
- The Hunt for Uniqueness – Consumers are searching for the new and unusual, leading to trends moving faster than ever. Grab their attention with unique ingredients from the exotic to sensory elements that bring the buzz. Additions will add a further exciting element from perceived health-focused additives like CBD, turmeric, and collagen to magical and mystical additives like gems and flower remedies. Flavors include the cool but colorful (pistachio, blue raspberry, dragon fruit), the rare (pineberry), and mood enhancers (oak, lavender, vanilla).
- Low/No Booze Buzz – From the early 2000s to today, there has been a noticeable shift in American drinking habits. The increase in no and low-ABV cocktail options have allowed consumers to incorporate these sophisticated beverages into social moments while catering to their desire for healthier options. As these beverages continue to dominate the market, layers of flavor will differentiate them from the crowd. Flavors include staple flavors (mango, lime, pineapple, blueberry) mixed with unique flavors (jalapeño, rosemary, lavender).
- What’s Your Story? – In a world where information is readily available and consumer curiosity is at an all-time high, storytelling is key to building trust and excitement with consumers. Purpose is paramount and company social responsibility efforts will be at the forefront. As technology allows consumers to enjoy more experiences in the comforts of their own homes, unique stories will evoke emotion and enhance experiences that draw customers to your establishment. Flavors with a story include yuzu, vanilla spice, Hawaiian island, and stone fruit.
- Experience the Pacific – Today’s fast and furious world leaves us longing for an escape from the everyday. From the Americas to Oceana to Asia, the Pacific Rim is full of unique fruits and enticing spices customers crave. Flavors include the juicy (passion fruit, guava, dragon fruit) and the tantalizing (lemongrass, cumin, ginger, cardamom).
- Alt. Nation – As consumers further prioritize their health and wellness, alternatives from ingredients to specialty diets will continue to emerge. There will be no shortage of alternative beverage options including flavored waters, hard seltzers, and spirit-free cocktails. Spins on classic recipes will reenergize fan favorites. Alternative opportunities include natural sweeteners (Monin Zero Calorie Natural Flavorings) and flavors without sweetness (Monin Concentrated Flavor).
How are these trends identified?
The 2020 Flavor Trends were developed by an internal, full-time team of Monin Consumer Insight Specialists, Beverage Innovation Directors, Chefs and Flavor Technologists. This team is dedicated to identifying and tracking emerging trends that influence flavor preferences through analysis of both proprietary and secondary research.
In addition, they use an “eye to the street” approach which includes frequent, global market excursions and the exchange of trend information with Monin beverage developers located around the world.
Why predict trends?
As the ultimate solutions provider, Monin strives to support their partners with trend insights in order to help them identify opportunities that will resonate with their customers. The goal for Monin is to always provide our customers with successful innovation, and these trends are the starting point of the development process.
Hope you’re thirsty!