MONIN 2019 FLAVOR TRENDS
Thursday, January 17th, 2019
Monin Gourmet Flavorings has identified five emerging trends which they predict will influence food and beverage menus this year and beyond:
- Au Naturel – Health and wellness trends continue to drive the desire for natural, clean label ingredients. And consumers value authenticity and transparency more than ever as they turn towards simplicity and a “no filter” attitude. Expect to see more menu descriptions like fresh, clean, and handmade. Flavored water and other low and no sugar beverages will become more prominent as people look for healthy, fresh and flavorful. Trending flavors include garden fresh (cucumber, basil, rosemary) and botanical (lavender, elderflower, rose).
- Conscious Consumption – Consumers care for themselves, society, and the earth. Functional ingredients such as superfoods, additives, and personalized nutrition play the role of “food as medicine” on the menu. Consumers also want to create a personal connection with establishments, aligning themselves with those that have similar values. Social responsibility in the form of giving back to the community, ingredient traceability, and minimizing waste, influence consumers when deciding where to dine. Trending flavors include superfruits (pomegranate, blueberry, grapefruit) and those with a health halo (honey, ginger, turmeric).
- Love the Occasion – Everyone loves a reason to celebrate. Limited time offers, seasonal flavors, and holidays are the perfect way to tell a story behind the food or beverage offering, create consumer excitement, and keep them coming back for more, ultimately increasing sales. A special holiday is also the perfect excuse to indulge, enjoy a specialty cocktail, or socialize with a mocktail. An opportunity for innovation arises as consumers seek uniqueness and seasonal flavor preferences evolve. Trending flavors include tropical (pineapple, coconut, guava) and nostalgic (caramel apple butter, toasted marshmallow, toffee nut).
- Play Date – Dining today is all about the experience. Consumers look for playful food, beverages and atmospheres. Establishments that promote “eatertainment”, shareables, and interactive features are on the rise. Deliver on a sense of adventure by exploring global flavors and new presentation. Expect big, bright and bold Instagram-worthy offerings that delight the senses. Trending flavors include spicy/exotic (jalapeño, habanero, cardamom) and those with bright colors (hibiscus, desert pear, butterfly pea flower)
- Mixed Use – Operators are uncovering the multipurpose potential of mixed-use spaces and ingredients. Expect to see a blending of retail with coffeeshops, the uprising of flex-casual restaurants, and multitasking ingredients across beverages and culinary applications to maximize profitability and efficiency while offering convenience and innovation. Trending flavors include citrus varieties (yuzu, blood orange, kaffir lime) and basic beverages as base ingredients (tea, lemonade, cold brew coffee).
How are these trends identified?
The 2019 Flavor Trends were developed by an internal, full-time team of Monin Consumer Insight Specialists, Beverage Innovation Directors, Chefs and Flavor Technologists. This team is dedicated to identifying and tracking emerging trends that influence flavor preferences through analysis of both proprietary and secondary research.
In addition, they use an “eye to the street” approach which includes frequent, global market excursions and the exchange of trend information with Monin beverage developers located around the world.
Why predict trends?
As the ultimate solutions provider, Monin strives to support their partners with trend insights in order to help them identify opportunities that will resonate with their customers. The goal for Monin is to always provide our customers with successful innovation, and these trends are the starting point of the development process.