MONIN 2018 FLAVOR TRENDS
Monday, January 22nd, 2018
Monin Gourmet Flavorings has identified five emerging trends which they predict will influence food and beverage menus this year and beyond:
- Thirst for Adventure – Customers prefer to curate new experiences over material things. When it comes to food and beverage, anything goes including emerging global flavors and Wonka-esque flavor combinations. Operators can take advantage of this trend by offering safe experimentation. That is combining a familiar flavor with a unique one, therefore creating an approachable yet exciting taste adventure. Additionally, telling a background story about the sourcing or sustainability of the ingredients elevates consumer interest and satisfaction.
- Let’s Get Social – Customers seek socially shareable moments that look amazing and deliver on incredible, craveable taste. This trend is spurring next level innovation in food and beverage flavors, colors, textures, vessels and overall “wow” presentations.
- Going to Extremes – Balancing extremes is now a lifestyle and consumers expect the same for their food and beverage choices. There is a desire for indulgences to be clean label, sweets to be low sugar, and complex builds to be of the best quality. Expect a rise in sophisticated mocktails and low ABV cocktails as consumers balance their alcohol intake. This trend also addresses increased interest in extreme technique and delivery styles such as cold brewed, nitro, and culinary mixology where chef influenced preparation styles become the star of the bar.
- The Empowered Customer – Customers demand customization, personalization, transparency and authenticity. Reach them by creating an emotional connection through flavors that evoke comfort, nostalgia and escapism. Consumers want it all, and they want it all now. Delivery and to-go options continue to rise as convenience remains a motivating factor while choosing a dining establishment.
- Farmer’s Market Mentality – The health and wellness megatrend drives demand for fresh and natural ingredients in vegetable-centric meals and garden to glass beverages. Operators can capitalize on this trend by offering veggie based juices and cocktails. Expect to see more unique, exotic fruits emerge this year as well.
How are these trends identified?
The 2018 Flavor Trends were developed by an internal, full-time team of Monin Consumer Insight Specialists, Beverage Innovation Directors, Chefs and Flavor Technologists. This team is dedicated to identifying and tracking new flavor trends through analysis of both proprietary and secondary research. In addition, they use an “eye to the street” approach which includes frequent, global market excursions and the exchange of trend information with Monin beverage developers located around the world.
Why predict trends?
As the ultimate solutions provider, Monin strives to support their partners with trend insights in order to help them identify opportunities that will resonate with their customers. The goal for Monin is to always provide our customers with successful innovation, and these trends are the starting point of the development process.