- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Monin Habanero Lime Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons tequila* (divided)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon Habanero Lime Syrup
- 2 tablespoons tequila*
- lime zest
- pinch of coarse salt
*Tequila optional, omit if desired (no need for substitution)
- Yield: 16-18 cupcakes
- MARGARITA CUPCAKES
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugar together until pale, light, and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium and add eggs, one at time, and mix thoroughly after each addition.
- Add the Monin Habanero Lime Syrup, vanilla extract, and tequila and mix until combined, using a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides.
- Note that the mixture may look curdled at this point, but will come back together.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low.
- Add the dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk in two batches.
- Mix only until just incorporated, using the rubber spatula to give it one last mix by hand.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cups.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until just slightly golden and a skewer shows only moist crumbs attached, rotating the pan at the halfway point.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack.
- Brush the tops of the cupcakes with 1 to 2 tablespoons of tequila.
- Set the cupcakes aside to cool completely before frosting them.
- Frost cupcakes and garnish, if desired, with lime zest, and a sprinkling of course salt.
- Whip butter on medium-high speed of an electric mixer using the whisk attachment for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to medium-low, and gradually add powdered sugar, mixing and scraping the sides of the bowl until all is incorporated.
- Add Monin Habanero Lime Syrup, tequila and salt; mix on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- If the frosting appears a bit too soft, add additional sugar, one spoonful at a time until desired consistency is reached.