Caramelized Onion Jam
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large red onions (halved, peeled, and cut into thin, 1/4 inch slides)
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup Honey Sweetener
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon (juiced and a few grates of zest)
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the oil until very hot.
- Add the onions and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook until the onions give up their liquid, approximately 5 to 10 minutes, and then add the red wine.
- Lower the heat and cook the onions until the wine reduces almost completely. (This may take some time. Leave on low heat while you prepare the gastrique.)
- In a separate small pan, heat the Monin Honey Sweetener and sugar until the mixture begins to bubble and foam.
- Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Add the red wine vinegar and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat, and then turn off the heat.
- Pour the honey mixture over the onions and continue cooking over low heat until all of the juice is absorbed and the onions are a jam-like consistency, approximately 20 minutes.
- If you desire, add lemon juice and zest at this point.
- Taste for seasoning, add salt & pepper if necessary and transfer to a bowl to cool until ready to serve.
- Use to top burgers, meats, poultry, flatbread pizza or toast.