Bananas Foster Brioche French Toast
- 1 vanilla bean (or sub 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 2/3 cup half & half
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 slices of brioche loaf, thick-cut
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 large bananas, peeled and sliced thick
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dulce de Leche Sauce
- Yield: Approximately 2 servings
- PATISSIERE CREAM
- Halve the vanilla bean, scrape the seeds then add both pod and seeds to a small sauce pan with the half & half.
- Bring to simmer, remove from heat and steep for about 10 minutes to infuse before removing the pod (if you’re using extract, just combine with half & half and bring to simmer, then remove from heat).
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale.
- Whisk in the flour until combined.
- While continuously whisking, add a bit of the hot milk to the eggs then pour the egg mix back into the pot.
- Place over low heat and stir constantly until custard is thick, rich and creamy.
- Pour into a bowl then cover the surface directly with cling film to stop a skin from forming.
- Cool to room temperature then refrigerate until needed.
- FRENCH TOAST
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, half & half and sugar until frothy.
- Dip each slice of bread, both sides, into the egg batter until soaked.
- Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick sauté pan.
- Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan and fry each side of the eggy brioche slices until golden browned; set aside. (Finish in oven if needed.)
- Sprinkle the banana slices, cut side up, with a little white sugar.
- Use torch to melt sugar until golden and bruléed (feel free to torch the other side too if desired.)
- Spread patisserie cream thickly on one side of the prepared toast
- Layer the torched bananas on top and drizzle Monin Dulce De Leche Sauce over the top of bananas.
- Add second slice of toast to create a sandwhich.
- Serve with ice cream and top with extra Monin Dulce De Leche Sauce, if desired.