To comply with the new e-Privacy directive, we need to ask for your consent to set the cookies. Learn more.
OUR BEVERAGE EXPERTS - Lee Hyde
MONIN Beverage Innovation Manager UK & Ireland
Lee has worked in the hospitality industry for 14 years. He worked in cocktail bars in Cardiff, Leeds, Bristol, Capetown, and Durban before moving to London in late 2009. Lee first started as head bartender at The Met Bar, part of The Metropolitan Hotel on Park Lane, where he stayed for 2.5 years.
Lee then moved to Bar Americain at Brasserie Zedel as Bar Manager for over a year. This was on the occasion of a new opening by famous London restauranteurs Chris Corbin and Jeremy King, of The Ivy and The Wolseley. He had different others experiences before joining MONIN that gave him huge competences in the drinks sectors.
Lee’s role at MONIN: Beverage Innovation Manager for the UK and Ireland
He is responsible for supporting menus and recipes design for national accounts, reporting on beverage trends within the UK and Irish markets, flavours and recipes innovation and development across the range of MONIN products. He is supporting customers with training sessions and masterclasses.
FEW QUESTIONS TO LEE:
What do you like in bartending?
I love being able to explore the boundaries of creation and innovation across so many different drinks categories.
What do like when creating a new drink?
I love the trial and error part of perfecting a recipe, and the feeling of accomplishment when a customer loves the concept.
Where do you find inspiration?
From many places, varying from online forums and social media outlets, such as Instagram and Reddit, to browsing the shampoo aisles at the supermarket to see what flavour combinations are being used.
COMPETITIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Winner of the national 'Asahi rising stars competition' where the prize was an all-expenses paid trip to Tokyo, Japan. (May 2009)
- Midlands regional winner for 'theme magazine bartender of the year competition', with a top 5 placing in the UK final. (Sept 2009)
- Winner of the London regional for the 'Jack Daniels cocktail competition', with a trip to Tennessee for the UK final, where I placed 2nd. (sept 2010)
- Winner of the London regional for Diageo’s 'world class competition', one of the most prestigious industry competitions worldwide. The prize was a trip to Mexico and a place in the UK final, where I came 3rd.
- He was featured on the front cover of Cocktail Lovers Magazine for their Spring 2013 edition.
- He represented the UK at the 62nd annual World Cocktail Competition in Prague, Aug 2013, after placing 1st in the UK final.